Saturday, 9 March 2013

Cloud 9 March Blog Hop - watercolouring with spray mists

Hi everyone, how have you been? It's been only half a day since my last post, I'm not giving you much time to rest, am I?? *grin*
I should start by saying a big thank you for the abundance of comments, in the last couple of days! I was surprised to see the number of visitors peak up a lot recently, it's higher than ever - which took me by surprise, but made my heart sing none the less. This week was nothing short of hectic, with the Waltzingmouse release on top of my usual commitments, but it was a rewarding experience which gave me an extra kick of mojo :)

So, what's on the agenda this morning? I'm happy to join the Cloud 9 Blog Hop, especially that somehow I missed the last month's installment...


The  inspiration photo is nothing short of a stunner, and as much as it screams 'watercolouring' & I couldn't think of anything better than some sort of artsy approach to my submission, I didn't  quite know how to tackle it. In the end, instead of the watercolours I settled down for spray mists - but not in the usual way... let me show the card first:



I really wanted to show you how I did the trick with the foliage and the whole thing, but I was making this card late in the evening and the lighting was less than perfect for taking step-by-step photos. Let me know if you'd prefer that to the description I'll give you, and I'll produce something over the next few weeks :)

Basically, I sprayed several different mists on a large acrylic block (any other flat, non-porous surface will do - think big dinner plate, but be aware of the staining that may occur if there are any cracks/imperfections at all), and let them mix together just a little bit. Then I took the large foliage stamp from Woodgrain Silhouettes Additions, and pressed against the puddle of colour. I made sure that I didn't spray too much on the surface in the first place, it's easy to pick too much liquid and stamp a blurred impression.
I stamped several times on the watercolour paper, wiping down the stamp before inking it up again each time.

The next step was to stamp the dogwood branches from Flora & Fauna, with Memento Tuxedo Black, across the bottom of the card. I added some Copic colouring to the blooms/leaves, using artsy, uneven strokes that neither cover the whole area, nor stay within the lines. I used the lightest shades of pinks and greens and Colouress Blender, to tone down any sharp edges.

Next, I sponged some aqua & light pink around the foliage, using Versa Color pigment inks. I stayed off the the stamped areas wherever I could, and dabbed the ink gently in rather than used the usual circular moves. I didn't want to compromise the sharpness & brightness.

Lastly, I white embossed the wording from Defining Words, across the bottom of the card, and stamped "thank you" from Filigreed Frames in Memento Olive Grove, a wee bit off the edge of the card.

I'm also entering this card into The Ombre Challenge in the Moxie Fab World. I can't say that I fully understand the idea behind ombre, as I never heard of this word before I stumbled upon it being mentioned in the craft industry (I always used the word 'gradient' instead). However, if I'm correct that the word means a smooth transition of colour, not only from the lightest shade to the darkest one, but also from one colour to another, then I think I'm good to go :)

Be sweet :)

18 comments:

  1. Iwona - this is amazing. What a beautiful card, and such a lovely technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gorgeous card!! and thanks for the explanation of the technique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! Thanks for the explanation as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! This is an amazing technique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OM MY STARS!!!! The inspiration is absolutely stunning and to top it off your card is out of this world! I havn't even read the post yet LOL but I just needed to put this here first! Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! Now i shall read the post! haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a work of art!! No word of a lie - it's a complete masterpiece and should be treasured! What a wonderful crescendo of colour, technique, style and just sheer brilliance. I adore it!!

    PS: half a day is more than long enough for me to miss you and your posts. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your card,Very pretty...

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooooohhh, so pretty....sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is pure genius, artistic talent and beauty! I will look at this a lot for inspiration! Thanks for sharing your technique.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning Chupa! Love the technique and I thank you for sharing so I can try this myself. Really stunning results!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is stunning! I love where you took the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your card is gorgeous but I don't know if it qualifies as ombré or gradient which are usually used to describe the same thing. They both describe color going from a light version of a colour to a dark or or one colour to another but usually the former. I've just never seen a project described as ombré or gradient where the colours are mixed between different objects within one project. Maybe you'll set a new trend?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chupa, this is breathtaking! You're such an inspiration - thank you for playing along this month!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful combination of techniques with a stunning result. My fave touch is the white embossing on top of the inky beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  15. GORGEOUS! Absolutely perfect - thank you for sharing the technique, it has stunning results!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Chupa! Thanks for linking this up to the Ombre Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Random Acts Of Creativity | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012